Thursday, January 24, 2008

German Shepherds are people too

Like many people, I like to consider myself minimally offensive to individuals of all identities. Unfortunately sometimes even those of us with best intentions can be misinformed. It was much to my surprise when I learned a couple of weeks ago that the proper name of the popular black-and-tan breed of dog is a "German Shepherd Dog", as there are individuals who reside in Germany who hold the profession of being shepherds. So, I send my apologies to any people that I have ever offended by referring to their combined nationality and profession as a common dog breed, as well as any dogs that I might have offended by referring to their breed as a person working in European pastures.

3 comments:

Nate M. said...

I wonder if Riley would hate the people too.

Aaron said...

I have short-hair and I was born and bred domestically but I don't get offended when people call my cats domestic short-hairs.

Unknown said...

great to read your thoughts...

hang in there

lar