This week we were discussing cosmetic surgery (in animals, of course). We were learning the tail muscles in the horse (14 of them, by the way) and which ones are surgically severed for a "tail set" operation, which is used in gaited show horses (which, by the way, they said is more common in the Midwest than in NC). Of course there are many other cosmetic surgeries in animals, with my blog audience probably being most familiar with cropping ears and docking tails in dogs.
Up until now, I have always thought those surgeries were a bit silly (especially since I have a soft spot for floppy ears), even though my own dogs' tail was cropped before we got him. But, since I could potentially be asked to engage in such activities one day, I think it is time for me to consider the issue more deeply. And, I think that outside of reconstructive surgery or those performed for the health of the animal, I will only perform cosmetic surgeries if the animal itself asks me. I can understand not being happy with your own looks and wanting to change that, but it seems rude to sign others up for cosmetic procedures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
The worst one, though not cosmetic, is cutting the left recurrent laryngeal nerve in beagles, so that they can't yelp. Maybe ya'll don't actually do that, but in people med school, they told us you do.
Speaking of beagles, have I mentioned that I am a big fan of Uno? He's the canine version of Bono, I think.
Anti. Definitely anti.
I think a beagle's yelp is incredibly annoying so instead of severing his laryngeal nerve I just won't buy a beagle.
Speaking of cosmetic surgery for your pet, I saw a cat get run over today on my way home from the video store. He was still alive and I told the lady who hit him that I would take him to the vet up the street. Unfortunatly for my feline casualty, he expired within minutes of our arrival.
He was an intact male of about a year and half.
Spay/neuter your cats and don't let them run around outside.
Big pat on the back for you being a good samaratin, Aaron! No worries, even if that cat didn't make it, I am sure that he has hundreds of offspring by now to carry on his legacy.
We can barely get our neutered obese house-cat to get off of the couch let alone outside...
Thanks for the pat on the back. I actually did a good job of not crying until I got home. After I hugged my wife and blew my nose I went and petted my cat.
I'm sure my departed pal sired many offspring. He was a good lookin' fella.
Post a Comment