Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Full circle

Many may not know (or remember), but 7 years ago in my first lab rotation in grad school I was in a lab that used a pigs as a model for skin infection. The first time that I went out to see the pigs, I was admittedly overwhelmed by a combination of heat, no breakfast, the deafening loudness of pig squeals and the force with which pigs need to be handled (a bit different than lab mice). Finally, when the floppy ears reminded me of my brand new puppy’s ears, it was the closest I ever came to fainting (I managed to hold out) and I thought that I was destined to never work with animals.

Although pigs remain my least favorite species to work with (if you are asking yourself why right now you have never been in a pig barn), this week was the first time that I engaged in an activity (pic 1) that had to be correctly performed for the animals to make it out of the procedure. (That went so well that I was invited out to a farm to perform it on 250 pigs – no thanks!) And, after a semester of vet school I have figured out the difference between a Yorkie ear and a pig ear and am OK handling those too (pic 2, 3). So, I guess from year 1 of grad school to year 1 of vet school, I have come full circle.





5 comments:

Nate M. said...

What are you doing to the pig in that picture?

Unknown said...

Ouch...

Great article...articles...

very fascinating stuff

stephanie said...

To clear up any confusion, in the first picture I am getting a blood sample from a "juvenile" pig (still pretty huge). Blood collection in pigs is a bit different than other animals because they have a different vein pattern, and hence you can kill them. The invitation out to the farm was to do this to 250 pigs, and I said no thanks because although I might be decent at bleeding pigs, it is a bit stressful and I don't like pigs a lot.

In the lower pictures I am injecting something into an adult pig ear intravenously.

stephanie said...

Oh, and to orient you in the first picture, the pig is on its back, its front legs are being held down, I have its head in my left hand, a needle and syringe in my right.

mainou said...

I love piglets, especially when they are born. I actually enjoy the noise of the piglets squealing when they are born.