Friday, April 25, 2008

One of the best weeks ever

As I alluded to earlier, I am still in school, but it is post-finals. I am taking short courses that are supposed to expose us to different aspects of the veterinary profession that we might not otherwise get any contact with. There is an active effort on the part of the faculty to make these courses fun, it seems that they try to heal all of the brutalization scars of prior semester in a couple of short weeks. My class this week concerned environmental policy and gets a huge thumbs up from me. The highlights for me included visiting an expert on how to build green, touring the areas finest veterinary specialty hospital, learning about red wolf reintroduction in North Carolina, and finding out the latest on court proceedings regarding off road vehicles on the Hatteras sea shore. But, perhaps the highlight of the week for me was getting to tour a wetland restoration project on the vet school campus with a soil scientist. While this was a really fascinating topic, I got to scale under electric fences GI Joe style on my belly during the hike. I was a pretty big fan of GI Joe as a kid, so this took the cake. The instructor told me that if I enjoyed this sort of thing I would enjoy being a wildlife vet - which is excellent news (recall that my dream job involves 1. dead monkeys and 2. the rainforest)


But, the real question is does it make up for the past semester of anatomy lab? Hmmm...probably not. Maybe next week will help with that.

9 comments:

Nate M. said...

That's right. I married GI Joe.

Aaron said...

Yooooo Jooooe!!!!

That's pretty cool stuff Steph. I like G.I. Joe too. In fact, I own every single issue of the original Marvel Comics run of G.I. Joe, as well as the Special Missions series. I also own about 30 issues of the relaunch by Devils Due Publishing/Image Comics. I quit collecting when they (Devils Due) started killing off the Joes in what seemed like every issue.

My G.I. Joe comics and I are quite the catch. Don't you envy my wife?

Nate M. said...

I'd be interested to hear a bit about the court proceeding out at the OBX. I've got mixed emotions on this one. In the long run, I don't think you do conservation efforts any good if you don't let people enjoy nature. Of course, you also don't do conservation efforts any good if you tear up the coast.

stephanie said...

I have always wanted to try to remember out the name of my favorite GI Joe chatacter. She had short bright orange hair, and like all good characters of the 80s, a fluorescent pink shirt and ripped blue pants.

Aaron said...

Was she kinda punk rock looking and a bad guy? If so then it was probably Zarana.

Here's a link to her action figure.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/zarana.shtml

Nate M. said...

Steph, for your Christmas present, do you want the one with or without earrings?

stephanie said...

yep! that was her! she was my favorite. I also liked the "bad guys" which always worried my mom. But I had good reason - 1. my older brother had already claimed all of the good guys and 2. the bad guys often had cooler clothes.

Aaron said...

I'm glad I could help.

I always liked the good guys but COBRA always had cooler vehicles and stuff than GI Joe.

Nate M. said...

Steph, your last post cracks me up.