Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What is your worst interview moment?

So this should be a fun topic....and it is all because of an awful interview that I had today. Let's just say I'm not expecting to get the job.

It was an on campus position for a job that I honestly am not dying to do, but it is a moderately easy way of getting a little extra money towards tuition. In broad terms, it involves a major company associated with the pet food industry.

I walk in to the interview, shake hands with the company rep (a veterinarian), and sit down. Let's join in, with me being "S" and the interviewer being "I":

I: So, I see that you are a philosopher.

S: (Recognizing the trainwreck that just occurred, but playing dumb by acting surprised at the comment): No.

I: It says on your resume that you have a doctorate in philosophy.

S: Yes, in Microbiology and Immunology.

I: No, it says Philosphy (proceeding to pull out the resume and look at it)

S: (Pointing at that line) Right, a doctorate of philosophy IN MICROBIOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY.

I: If the doctorate is in Microbiology, why does it say philosophy?

S: Because "Philosophy" is the "Ph" part of "PhD"...you know, its latin or whatever.


Describing your qualifications to the person (a Dr.) who is interviewing you? Super awkward in case you were wondering!! I wanted to just pick up and walk out at that moment and say, "You know what, never mind, I had my concerns about this position any way". But I sat through it. Ugh.

One of my classmates said that I should be thankful that it stopped there and he didn't read down to the next line - "Bachleor of Science" - and ask me if I was a bachelor.

I thought about changing my resume to just say "PhD, Microbiology & Immunology" so as to prevent any future confusion, but I think that I am keeping it as is. Next time I will just go along with it - I figure that even if I am not a philosopher, I can claim to be one and out-philosophize any one that is that confused.

6 comments:

Nate M. said...

The dude's right. I'm sitting in the office looking at your diploma right now. It's clear as day that it says "philosophy." ;)

Natalie said...

Hole-E-Cow. This person is responsible for hiring???? Please email me the company so I can make sure I don't buy dog food from them....but I'm guessing it wasn't Natura anyway.

stephanie said...

update: I in fact, was not offered the position, which is OK with me.

Interestingly, the person who got it does in fact also hold a PhD as well. She interviewed several hours after me and we had a conversation about the interview and she said that her degree never came up in the conversation even though it was on her resume. I guess the interviewer didn't want to go there again.

Aaron said...

What exactly does a philosophy doctor do? Do they help people whose paradigms have shifted? Because that is always painful. . .

When I was a kid I always wondered if I could get married if I had a Bachelors degree. I decided that I was only going to get an Associates degree so I could still associate with girls if I wanted to. I wanted to keep my options open.

Nate M. said...

You always were wise beyond your years, Aaron.

Aaron said...

Thanks Nate. After I met Kim I got my Bachelor's degree because I didn't need to Associate with any other girls ever again.